Pages

Thursday, December 29, 2011

2011 in Review: My Films and TV Programmes of 2011

This is a bit like UK Autocar magazine's annual Christmas Day edition where they do a special 'road test' of e.g. the Concorde, the Channel Tunnel boring machine, USS Nimitz, etc.

This is only my view. I do realise I am not a film/TV critic..

Best TV Series of 2011
Dexter - bloody as ever.. except I've been forever put off by the gruesome death of Rita Bennett..




The Kennedys - cheesy but great.. riveting viewing and great acting by Greg Kinnear, Barry Pepper and Tom Wilkinson as the Kennedy triad..

But in my opinion, the best TV series of 2011 was....



Downton Abbey Season 2 (ok yes I'm now well and truly a Downton Abbey fan)




My Movies of 2011 
(I count King's Speech as a 2010 film as it was released in NZ in 2010)

5.Never Let Me Go - absolutely heart-breaking, heart-wrenching yet beautiful story.. a parable of things we tend to take for granted in our lives..


4.Contagion - very flat action-wise but otherwise very realistic and very correct.. finally a sci-fi film that actually has the science to back it up.


3.Drive - Ryan Gosling. Brilliant.


2.X-Men: First Class - the X-Men franchise reboot takes it back to its roots with a brilliant story.. Michael Fassbender convinced me to love Magneto - and he was played by Sir Ian McKellen after all!


1.Senna - the best sports film ever made IMO. Period.

(Tintin, The Iron Lady to come of course..)

Worst Movie of 2011
I actually quite enjoyed Transformers 3 - definitely an improvement on the 2nd one..

My tip would have to be - Sherlock Holmes 2 - the trailer has "Sucks" written all over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment