Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

Greatest Black Caps Side I Was Around to See

Regular reader, Stevo brought up a very good point that I wasn't old enough to watch Bert Sutcliffe and John Reid play for NZ and therefore isn't qualified to put them in my best ever team.

Heck I was still living in Malaysia and didn't know what cricket was when Hadlee and Crowe played so I can't even mention them..

So if I ruled all of them out, what would my team be for the tests?





Mark Richardson
Brendon McCullum
Stephen Fleming (captain)
Nathan Astle (HOW THE HECK DID I FORGET HIM IN MY ORIGINAL POST!!!!!!)
Ross Taylor
Scott Styris

Chris Cairns
Daniel Vettori
Tim Southee
Shane Bond
Chris Martin

Sad to say when I started following the Blackcaps, Rigour was our only good opening batsman in tests.

Yes I don't think Bazza should open but he's a better option than Craig Cumming, Lou Vincent, James Marshall, Tim McIntosh, Matthew Bell, Aaron Redmond.......

4 comments:

  1. Where's Nathan Astle - only one of the best to play for NZ. Put Astle and Fleming to open, and McCullum down the order. Problem solved, with Richardson out of the side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There does need to be space for Nathan Astle, but what about Roger Twose? He had an amazing record. Styris was probably better at ODIs.
    So what date is this team? It sums up our lack of talent if guys like Southee and Martin can make it. What about Iain O'Brien as a bolter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes sorry completely forgot about him.. Done, put him there.. Not sure about Astle or Fleming to open.. I'd keep them away from the opening spots. Richardson was a solid opener for us, he'd have to be in there. Fleming is too good a batsman to waste as our opener. He should come in at 3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any problem with Rigor he has an amazing test record. Probably ditch Ryder.

    ReplyDelete