Pages

Friday, April 13, 2012

Should F1 Race in Bahrain?

The hottest debate over the last couple of weeks in the F1 camp has not been about Mercedes' rear wings. In fact, the topic of discussion has nothing to do with cars, but rather with where they're racing and whether they should race there.

But after much debate, the big boss, Bernie Ecclestone, who has the final say came out and said that F1 will be racing in Bahrain the following weekend after all.


Tahrir Square - the nadir of the Arab uprising of 2011
And I actually agree with him.

Last year, F1 did the right thing and pulled out as people weren't sure what was going to happen in the Arab world with all the volatility in the air. A year on, people now have a better idea of what is happening. Yes the situation in the Arab world is still volatile not helped by the violence in Syria but it is not as volatile as it was at this time last year.

New Zealand's tour to "pariahs" Zimbabwe
Furthermore, I think sport should make a conscious effort to separate itself from politics, as I alluded last year prior to the Blackcaps' tour of Zimbabwe. Back then, I said that the tour would be a positive thing for the people of Zimbabwe and for cricket over there. Likewise, F1's arrival in Bahrain will be a positive thing for the people of Bahrain and a chance for them to show their country in whatever light they want.

After all, I'm sure Bahrain isn't North Korea where the bus drivers definitely have a route to take when showing the journalists around.

Whilst I've never been a fan of the Sakhir F1 circuit, I think F1 will lose out heavily if they didn't go there this time. Furthermore, I know plenty of Bahrainis from my time at Otago and I'm sure they'd appreciate the Grand Prix being in their homeland.


No comments:

Post a Comment